Recent Posts

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

How to Train Your Children (to make it through the movie)



We decided it was high time we share with our boys one of our OLD favorite pastimes... going to the movies! We thought, "hey they watch movies 9-10 times everyday at home, surely they are ready to make it through this one." Here's what we did:
1. watched the previews at least 8 times on youtube with the boys
2. got them super-psyched by talking about how awesome dragons are and by making dragon noises all morning
3. talked about all the popcorn, pop, and candy we were going to eat at the movies
4. arrived on time to our movie so we could purchase all our goodies
5. refilled our GIANT tub of popcorn about 20 minutes into the movie
6. ran out of jelly beans about an hour into the movie
7. finally took Cole to run around in the hallway just after the jelly beans ran out
8. ultimately left the movie about 15 minutes early when Xavier wanted to start running around with Cole. I pretty much guessed the ending anyways.

What we learned:
1. arrive late next time to avoid wasting precious "attention time" on previews
2. buy the biggest tub of popcorn for FREE refills (I have never heard of this before)
3. bring, I mean buy, a full bag of candy next time
4. wait another year before attempting this again. It felt like a super-stressful way to drop $30 in 1 hour and 20 minutes.

What shall we tackle for fun next? Any suggestions?

11 comments:

McEntire Family said...

You are so BRAVE to try at all! I was thinking Keian might be OK if we went to the movies - but we'll wait until the Dragon movie is at the $1 theater! Loved your post!

paulak said...

That's funny. We took Kya to Cars at 3 months old and then Horton Hears a Who at 18 months....she did really well, but if you haven't guessed...we haven't even attempted to take Zander...he wouldn't do as well as Kya. Great post.

Cheryl said...

I thought it was a little old for Ava and kinda dark....but your story is so funny I can just imagine the sugar high after when you got home :) xoxo

Alisha said...

You fool. You sweet little fool. I admire your spirit, your effort. I learned early that kids can't begin to make it through a kid movie till they are 3 or older. It's torturous for me to sit through kid movies anyway.

KellyAnne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KellyAnne said...

They publish movies on things called DVDs for a reason! ;) Fun memory that you tried it though. Justin

tawnya said...

Angie! I just noticed your link from Cheryl's blog. You all look so great! And your boys are adorable. I hope you all are well.

Fun Grammy Heidi said...

Dear Angie,

This is Heidi....a mother of 4 children who (I am now proud to say) can sit through all of Sacrament Meeting without being taken out. Now be honest, don't you appreciate being able to take out your boys (not the babies, anymore) when the speaker is boring?!?! I hate to admit, but yes, sometimes the speakers are BORRRING.

All kidding aside, I remember years of my life that the 2 good things I could say about going to church were:
#1 Showing my children that we go to church on Sunday and this example is very important.
#2 Taking the Sacrament and having a few seconds in personal prayer during this sacred time.

There would occasions when people would comment how wonderful the speakers were and I would think, "Oh, did we have speakers today?" I sure as heck didn't hear any of it.

As for movies......well we did the best we can. When we saw "FernGulley in 1992. Will insisted on taking Caitlin (who was 16 months old) out because he said it was just a movie about treehuggers and he didn't like it. I was pregnant and sick with Keely so I ended up running to the bathroom. But Jessica (6 1/2 yrs) loved the movie. Tyler (just 5 yrs)loved all the popcorn and candy.

:) Heidi

Fun Grammy Heidi said...

Angie,

Oops...Tyler was 4 years old. And....he was still ticked Caitlin was a girl. When Keely was born several months later, he actually sobbed (with real tears), "I didn't want another sister. I want a baby brother."

:) Heidi

Jodi Vestal Chandler said...

Hey Ang! I started a blog. I am so behind the times on these things, but I finally get it! Check it out and tell me what you think, it's simplejodi.blogspot.com. Hope your great! Love the mary janes for Mary Jane!

Stacy said...

Oh my heck, I think it is so funny there is a poster for the Backup Plan behind Nick.... I am just crackin up here! Super funny story. I have been thinking of taking Tiffany to the next Shrek and I think she would do really well.